Better File systems? Was Re: XFS - here's the solution

"Ronald W. Heiby" wrote:

> Wednesday, April 17, 2002, 11:26:11 AM, Richard wrote:
> > Please note that in my experience, ext3 doesn't work. When I upgraded my
> > systems from RH 6.2 to 7.2, I tried to tell it to use ext3, the default,
> > on several systems and each time was rewarded with a system that
> > wouldn't boot. (I don't recall just what the errors were,
> > unfortunately.)
>
> I had a related problem. I did a full install on a system which
> installed ext3 filesystems by default. The system booted and ran just
> fine. Because I wanted to use Partition Magic to resize partitions,
> and it does not yet know about ext3, I converted all of the partitions
> to ext2. The system refused to boot with a message (which I did not
> write down) that implied that it was objecting to the root filesystem
> no longer being an ext3 filesystem. For various reasons, we did a full
> reinstall, so I do not know what a "kinder, gentler" fix might be.
>
> Ron.

I had problems when I first tried ext3 - until I figured out
(possibly read on this list) that the kernel I was trying to use
had ext3 support compiled as a module.  The kernel was trying to
load the ext3 module off an ext3 file system it needed the module
to read...

The solution was easy.  Simply compile ext3 - and any other
filesystem you might want the kernel to boot from - directly into
the kernel.

My current project uses ext3 on "/boot" and "/" Raid-1 partitions
(boots off the raid partitions so raid-1 support must also be
compiled directly into the kernel, and the --omit-raid-modules
option used with mkinitrd).  I haven't had any problems I didn't
create for myself.

--
Kort E Patterson
http://www.overalltech.net