nss_db

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Kevin McConnell wrote:

> I'm getting problems with nss_db. There is an
> undefined symbol causing me to be unable to login or
> ssh into the rawhide machine. The symbol is
> __set_errno and when I try to ssh into the machine or
> login at the console I'm just having login reset
> itself and print a reference to undefined symbol by
> this name. the problem is from the file
> /lib/libnss_db.so.2.0.0 which belongs to
> nss_db-2.2-12.i386.rpm and was from April 3rd. Apps
> must have just started to be compiled against this
> library, because it only started happening recently
> and there is a compat package for backports...
> I'm no programmer, so I just ran `nm
> /lib/libnss_db.so.2.0.0 | grep __set_errno' and sure
> enough the symbol comes up with the big ole U in front
> of it. Why it's undefined... I can't imagine, but
> packages are being built against it.
> Any help is greatly appreciated. For now, I've copied
> an old lib back so I can login.... but I still need
> this verified to either file it or search for it.
> Bugzilla turned up squat for me, but then again,
> bugzilla never really likes me.
> TIA
> -Kev

 Well, I've not noticed anything ... but I havn't upgraded everything
yet.  Do you actually need to use nss_db?  I don't appear to be using
it, as I've just got "hosts: files dns" and everything else just uses
"files" in /etc/nsswitch.conf.  If you actually have access to the
machine could you boot in single-user mode and remove "db" from any
lines in /etc/nsswitch that mention it?  That should get you past the
login problem unless you actually *need* "db" to work.

 The symbol will almost certainly show up as "undefined" in the actual
library, by the way; the problem is more likely to be that the symbol
is unresolved after all the usual libraries have been loaded.  I don't
actually know whether the symbol should be defined in the library, so
I may be talking complete tosh here though.