nss_db

--- Bill Crawford <redhat-devel@billemon.org.uk>
wrote:
>  Well, I've not noticed anything ... but I havn't
> upgraded everything
> yet.  Do you actually need to use nss_db?

No, I don't need it, but checking my
/etc/nsswitch.conf shows that I'm not using it first
either. That's the strange part. I always have files
then dns before it tries db.  I guess I should just
delete it altogether. I booted into single and copied
the production lib from off of a 7.2 machine onto it
to stop it's whining, now I'll delete the db lines
from nsswitch and see if that helps. If not, I guess
I'll be copying the lib back again. I'll let you know
how it goes later tonight and if need be, I'll post a
list of packages that are affected by the problem.
Thanks for your help Bill.
-Kev

> I don't
> appear to be using
> it, as I've just got "hosts: files dns" and
> everything else just uses
> "files" in /etc/nsswitch.conf.  If you actually have
> access to the
> machine could you boot in single-user mode and
> remove "db" from any
> lines in /etc/nsswitch that mention it?  That should
> get you past the
> login problem unless you actually *need* "db" to
> work.
>
>  The symbol will almost certainly show up as
> "undefined" in the actual
> library, by the way; the problem is more likely to
> be that the symbol
> is unresolved after all the usual libraries have
> been loaded.  I don't
> actually know whether the symbol should be defined
> in the library, so
> I may be talking complete tosh here though.

=====
Kevin C. McConnell --RHCE-- <RedHat Certified Engineer>