Re: reiser4 as a module

Hi

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Christian Stroetmann
<stroetmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Thanks for further informations.
>
> On the 22.10.2010 17:46, Viji V Nair wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Christian Stroetmann
>> <stroetmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hola;

>>> You mentioned this problem in the thread [1] as well.
>>> Check your pathes.
>>
>> Nobody replied to that thread :). I am planning to push reiser4 in the
>> fedora official repository.
>> I have checked the paths, looks fine. Even I tried with some other
>> modules (cifs) and those are getting compiled and loads with out any
>> issue.
>
> This is surprising. Maybe it is in the scripts of the compilation toolchain
> (configure, make, and so on).

>>> For what? See above.
>
> I still believe that they belong to the files in the fs and mm directories
> of the kernel source tree.
>
> Also somehow fuzzy, the fault messages you have sent are referencing
> existing items that are contained in the unpatched/original libraries. Are
> the missing symbols related with the ones that are included in the R4 2.6.34
> patch?
>
> So, maybe you should take a second and wait for the comments by the
> maintainer about the "EXPORT_SYMBOL" point.
>>>
>>> Btw.: To be honest, I find it a little bit off-topic, because it's about
>>> compiling a kernel module and not a R4 issue.
>>
>> This was working fine untill 2.6.10 patch. You can find the same issue
>> in Open Suse/Ubuntu/Mandriva mailing lists.
>
> Ah, okay. Good to know this.
>>
>> The missing symbols need to exported in the module level, I think. If
>> I compile the kernel completely everything works fine, but that is not
>> I want. I dont want to disturb the stock kernel.
>
> Okay.
> I still guess the problem is in the scripts that compile the module, if you
> say that compiling kernel modules with other file systems and the complete
> kernel with R4 support works correctly. Compare the scipts that are used to
> compile the complete kernel with R4 support with the scripts of the R4
> kernel module compilation. There must be the searched difference.

You are right, I am digging into the fedora kernel source tree, some
scripts are exporting all these symbols globally on a complete
compilation of the kernel. Need to figure out which one, anyway, for
resier4 we should have this symbol exported separately to avoid the
dependency with the above scripts.

>>> [1] Compilation Issue - Reiser4
>>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/reiserfs-devel/msg02508.html
>>>
>>> Have fun