Re: reiser4 as a module

 Thanks for further informations.

On the 22.10.2010 17:46, Viji V Nair wrote:
Hi

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Christian Stroetmann
<stroetmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
  Hola;

On the 22.10.2010 12:02, Viji V Nair wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying to build reiser4 as a module, but the module which
is getting compiled having the "symbol" issue.

<snip>
reiser4: Unknown symbol lzo1x_1_compress
reiser4: Unknown symbol might_fault
reiser4: Unknown symbol mutex_lock_nested
reiser4: Unknown symbol zlib_deflate
reiser4: Unknown symbol writeback_inodes_wbc
</snip>
You mentioned this problem in the thread [1] as well.
Check your pathes.
Nobody replied to that thread :). I am planning to push reiser4 in the
fedora official repository.
I have checked the paths, looks fine. Even I tried with some other
modules (cifs) and those are getting compiled and loads with out any
issue.
This is surprising. Maybe it is in the scripts of the compilation toolchain (configure, make, and so on).
I could see from the reiser4 2.6.34 patch that it is adding
"EXPORT_SYMBOL" to few files in fs&    mm directories of the kernel
source tree. Can we have all these symbols defined in the core source
tree of resier4 also? Do we have a patch for this already?
For what? See above.
I still believe that they belong to the files in the fs and mm directories of the kernel source tree.

Also somehow fuzzy, the fault messages you have sent are referencing existing items that are contained in the unpatched/original libraries. Are the missing symbols related with the ones that are included in the R4 2.6.34 patch?

So, maybe you should take a second and wait for the comments by the maintainer about the "EXPORT_SYMBOL" point.
Btw.: To be honest, I find it a little bit off-topic, because it's about
compiling a kernel module and not a R4 issue.
This was working fine untill 2.6.10 patch. You can find the same issue
in Open Suse/Ubuntu/Mandriva mailing lists.
Ah, okay. Good to know this.
The missing symbols need to exported in the module level, I think. If
I compile the kernel completely everything works fine, but that is not
I want. I dont want to disturb the stock kernel.
Okay.
I still guess the problem is in the scripts that compile the module, if you say that compiling kernel modules with other file systems and the complete kernel with R4 support works correctly. Compare the scipts that are used to compile the complete kernel with R4 support with the scripts of the R4 kernel module compilation. There must be the searched difference.
Thanks
Viji
[1] Compilation Issue - Reiser4
http://www.spinics.net/lists/reiserfs-devel/msg02508.html