Re: [syslinux] Re: Install Red Hat AS 4 from iLO on a HP DL380?

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Dag Wieers wrote:

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Herta Van den Eynde wrote:

I'm trying to install Red Hat Advanced Server AS 4 on a HP Proliant DL380G4. Unlike e.g. the DL360, the DL380 does not have the option to set the OS in the
BIOS.
As soon as the installation starts, i.e. even before you get to the point where you can enter "boot" and whatever boot options you want to use, the server switches to graphics mode, meaning I cannot access it from basic iLO.
Is there a way to overcome this?

Red Hat is using the 'display' directive in the syslinux config-file (isolinux/isolinux.cfg) and provides a splash screen that enables graphics mode (when this is supported).

See also: http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php

I see no other option to disable this splash-screen, other than somehow
let the BIOS advertise only text-mode is supported.

If this is not possible, you might want to investigate into PXE booting, or providing your own (custom) ISO image or floppy image without this splash-screen.

I think it is a valid question to raise why text-mode is not the default, as we have the same problem :) (and most remote consoles either are text-based or require a stupid and slow java-interface)

I included the syslinux mailinglist to confirm there is no other way to disable the graphical boot, other than changing the syslinux config.

There is, actually; if you press Ctrl-X then syslinux/pxelinux/isolinux will drop out of graphics mode and go to text mode. This assumes basic iLO won't squelsh the keyboard in graphics mode, which it very well might; the whole basic vs advanced iLO is such a completely stupid arrangement.

However, if it doesn't, you can let the screen go dead, wait a few seconds, and press Ctrl-X. That should bring the machine back to text mode.

    -hpa

Thanks, Dag, for the reference to the syslinux list, and to hpa for the suggested Ctrl-X workaround. Unfortunately, the Ctrl-X doesn't work, not even when the screen goes dead.

I totally agree with you that the advanced iLO is absurd, but I guess it makes HP a few extra bucks: $350 per M$ system should be noticeable.
However, it shouldn't be noticeable to Red Hat.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Kind regards,

Herta

--
Herta Van den Eynde              -=- Toledo system management
K.U. Leuven - Ludit              -=- phone: +32 (0)16 322 166

"Life on Earth may be expensive,
 but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."