Re: Want ability to restore from failed upgrade.

Jason Dixon wrote:

On Feb 23, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Peter Smith wrote:

<snip>

I doubt there is any point in testing a server setup on a 200MHz P3 desktop, is there?

Please read my comments more carefully. I'm not suggesting everyone has identical hardware for this purpose. This is a TEST system, not a FAILOVER/REPLACEMENT production system. It does not need identical hardware; it only needs a minimum of hardware capable of running the applications being tested. Based on the OP's description, I imagine a used PC in the Pentium-II range would be more than capable.

Oh, and yes, a 200Mhz PC would suffice for his purposes. As far as I can tell, we're not talking about stress-testing the applications. He simply wants to ensure that his data and applications will transition from older to newer versions. Yes, stress-testing is very important, but is beyond the scope of this thread. If he can't afford a spare set of identical hardware, it's going to be impossible to stress-test properly anyways.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting

Thanks Jason. I have a messy setup in RH 7.3 with ColdFusion, apache, MySQL, PHP and stuff which took ages to set up and I haven't been game to touch it since. I didn't realise there was any point in setting up a play version on a leftover PC.

I'll give it a go shortly.

Thanks again
Peter Smith
WBM Pty Ltd.