Re: Want ability to restore from failed upgrade.

On Feb 23, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Peter Smith wrote:

Jason Dixon wrote:

Stop right there. Yes, you should have backups. But don't rely on those solely as your backup in case of upgrade failure. Your focus should be on building a test system and performing the upgrade there.

Yes, well that's great if you have spare matching hardware. What about the rest of us?

Document and test everything. Then proceed with your production system upgrade, referring to your documentation and, in the worst case scenario, restoring from the backups.

I doubt there is any point in testing a server setup on a 200MHz P3 desktop, is there?

Please read my comments more carefully. I'm not suggesting everyone has identical hardware for this purpose. This is a TEST system, not a FAILOVER/REPLACEMENT production system. It does not need identical hardware; it only needs a minimum of hardware capable of running the applications being tested. Based on the OP's description, I imagine a used PC in the Pentium-II range would be more than capable.

Oh, and yes, a 200Mhz PC would suffice for his purposes. As far as I can tell, we're not talking about stress-testing the applications. He simply wants to ensure that his data and applications will transition from older to newer versions. Yes, stress-testing is very important, but is beyond the scope of this thread. If he can't afford a spare set of identical hardware, it's going to be impossible to stress-test properly anyways.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting