RE: Want ability to restore from failed upgrade.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Chris W. Parker wrote:

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) <mailto:MarMcDouga@xxxxxxxxx>
   on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:17 PM said:

I would suggest that you need to get a handle on some of the basics
first.

[snip]

I agree! :)

What OS are you running?  What is your current backup
strategy?  What apps are you looking to upgrade?

Don't know if these were rhetorical or not so I'll answer them anyway.

OS: Red Hat 8 and Red Hat 9
Backup Strategy: tar up /home, /etc, and /var and then ship them off to
another server.
Apps needing upgrade: Apache, sendmail, PHP, and MySQL.

except you missed one small point.

I assume you are talking about upgrading the apps themselves, i.e - move from apache 1.3 to 2.0, if you do this and it all goes west on you you will end up restoring say - an apache 1.3 config file (restore /etc) and find that the apache binary (/usr/bin/httpd) is still apache 2.0 and you'll end up with a right mess on your hands.

If you really want to back things up then just cpio (or tar, or amanda, or whatever) the entire file system less say /proc, and then move that entire system backup off to another system/hard drive/tape/etc (you could even practice a restore of this to another system to ensure that it all works happily and this would also give you a "live" backup waiting to go should things go wrong - either that or restore the image to another hard drive, cost of around $100 USD, and if stuff goes west then simply plug it in, power up and away you go)

--
Steve.