Re: kernel boot errors - need info

On February 10, 2004 01:59 pm, Ashish Samant wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I was wondering if there is a source or a document out there, ( may be in
> one of the HOWTOs) that explains the origin of the error "Kernel Panic :
> init not found "  and ways to troubleshoot it. Or may be what exactly
> comprises the boot process with lilo. I have been getting that error, when
> trying to build a custom kernel (2.4.20, on RH9) for a long time now and I
> havent been able to correct that.
>
> Any pointers are welcome. Thank you,
>
> Ashish.
>
> Graduate Student
> Dept of Computer Science
> Rochester Institute of Technology

Ashish,
The error your getting may be that there is no initrd file for that kernel. (I
think that is the error msg it uses)
I have not used 'make install' at the end, but it probably creates the initrd
file, however, if your moving the kernel and System.map then you will also
need to use mkinitrd (see 'man mkinitrd').
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce