memory spike?

For the last couple of days I've been witness to a quirk on an RH9 box where
the swap file's usage increases over 150 megs in a matter of seconds, stays
there for about 3 or 4 minutes and then drops back down again.  I tried
checking ps and top and nothing seems out of the ordinary.  (Although I
still don't understand why the percent of memory usage never adds up to more
than about 30% in either one of those programs.)  Is there any process by
which the system would flush a lot of data to the swap file and then clean
it back off without some application viewable by top/ps showing it in use?

Also, does anyone know of a much more powerful tool for finding this out?

TIA

Larry.