Re: NFS installation problem

Pete Nesbitt wrote:

On February 9, 2004 02:07 am, Xu Congyuan, Patrick wrote:

I am tryting to install Redhat Enterprise Linux ES 3 by NFS method.

Everything is fine except whe it comes to the package installation
stage. The problem happens just when started to install the first
package, named as "hwdata-...".  The error is saying that the package
cannot be found and asking to press "Ok" to retry.  So the installation
stops there.

I have put the 4 iso images under a directory.  I believe it can find
the iso image files, otherwise the installion  even cannot start.

Files are listed below.  I have checked the md5sum.  These files are
completed.  I have successfully installed via CDs burnt from these ISO
images.

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     146800640 Feb  5 09:43
rhel-3-i386-es-disc1.iso
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     652640256 Feb  5 09:45
rhel-3-i386-es-disc2.iso
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     656375808 Feb  5 09:46
rhel-3-i386-es-disc3.iso
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root     106823680 Feb  5 09:46
rhel-3-i386-es-disc4.iso

So any helps on the installation via NFS image?

Everything looks ok, and you correct, if it could not find the images it would not have gotten that far. Make sure all 4 image files are world readable and are all in the same directory. If it was an access problem getting to the images, it would fail when it asks you the address and mount points for the nfs, which is about 3 or 4 screens into the install, well before file copy.

I have had a system lock up on local cd install at the package copy stage, that was due to a bad memory controller on the (brand new intel) board. For the sake of testing I tried RH (7 I think), NT4 (or 5) which both failed, but win95 installed ok as it does not pound the i/o so much I suppose. Both Linux and NT worked fine untill they started copying files, then it locked up.

How's the network, is there a connectivity issue or is there a problems with the nfs server, is the nfs server still running after the failure?

You could loop out of the install (ctl-atl-F2 or F3...) and look at screens F4 & F5 for status/errors.

Also, see if the server has anything in it's logs.

I have just checked the NFS server's system log files. It has the following entries for the NFS mount.

Feb 9 09:02:32 Dataserver2 rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from 192.168.42.248:615 for /Datafiles1/rhiso/es-3 (/Datafiles1/rhiso)

One more thing I need to mention is that I put the update iso image (rhel-3-U1-i386-ws-disc1.iso) also inside that directory. Does this caused the problem?