Re: NFS installation problem

On February 9, 2004 02:07 am, Xu Congyuan, Patrick wrote:
> I am tryting to install Redhat Enterprise Linux ES 3 by NFS method.
>
> Everything is fine except whe it comes to the package installation
> stage. The problem happens just when started to install the first
> package, named as "hwdata-...".  The error is saying that the package
> cannot be found and asking to press "Ok" to retry.  So the installation
> stops there.
>
> I have put the 4 iso images under a directory.  I believe it can find
> the iso image files, otherwise the installion  even cannot start.
>
> Files are listed below.  I have checked the md5sum.  These files are
> completed.  I have successfully installed via CDs burnt from these ISO
> images.
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root     146800640 Feb  5 09:43
> rhel-3-i386-es-disc1.iso
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root     652640256 Feb  5 09:45
> rhel-3-i386-es-disc2.iso
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root     656375808 Feb  5 09:46
> rhel-3-i386-es-disc3.iso
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root     106823680 Feb  5 09:46
> rhel-3-i386-es-disc4.iso
>
> So any helps on the installation via NFS image?

Everything looks ok, and you correct, if it could not find the images it would
not have gotten that far. Make sure all 4 image files are world readable and
are all in the same directory. If it was an access problem getting to the
images, it would fail when it asks you the address and mount points for the
nfs, which is about 3 or 4 screens into the install, well before file copy.

I have had a system lock up on local cd install at the package copy stage,
that was due to a bad memory controller on the (brand new intel) board. For
the sake of testing I tried RH (7 I think), NT4 (or 5) which both failed, but
win95 installed ok as it does not pound the i/o so much I suppose. Both Linux
and NT worked fine untill they started copying files, then it locked up.

How's the network, is there a connectivity issue or is there a problems with
the nfs server, is the nfs server still running after the failure?

You could loop out of the install (ctl-atl-F2 or F3...) and look at screens F4
& F5 for status/errors.

Also, see if the server has anything in it's logs.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce