RE: Trouble with GRUB and multiple HD's

I think when grub fails in the stage 1.5 that indicates it can't find the
/boot partition therefore it can't find the grub.conf file.  It knows how to
load the raided partitions so something weird is happening.  To troubleshoot
temporarily create the /boot partition on the ide drive and put the
grub.conf.  The way you know this is it can't put up the menu, if it puts up
the menu then it has found the grub.conf file, but can't find the kernel.