Re: Trouble with GRUB and multiple HD's

On February 7, 2004 05:15 pm, Harry Hoffman wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>
> You may not have seen my other post.
>
> /boot is a seperate partition on /dev/sda1
>
> If the raid of / were an issue wouldn't I expect to see the same issue when
> using a standard boot disk (via mkbootdisk). They are the same initrd,
> right?
>

> Cheers,
> Harry

Yes, the kernel & initrd are on the disk that the emergency boot disk looks
for (normally it accesses your existing /boot for that).
So you can boot from a floppy and all works well, but when you boot with grub
on mbr of /dev/hda it fails? (yea, I missed that)

Based on that, your grub.conf must be working correctly, so, try this:
-boot with the RH install cd (at prompt "linux rescue"
-follow the prompts and allow it to mount your existing system (/mnt/sysimage)
-chroot /mnt/sysimage
-grub-install /dev/hda
-exit

That will put a fresh grub instance on the mbr that will reference your
existing /boot
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce