kernel wont boot

Hi...

I was trying to compile and install a new kernel, from a clean kernel
source (2.4.20). But looks like I messed up some step and now I cant boot
with the new kernel. I can however get back to my old one.I am going to
try redoing the whole thing, but not quite sure, what should I do
differently.

Could anybody tell me what could have gone wrong with my last attempt ? I
got the following error when I tried to boot the new kernel :

VFS : cannot open root device "Label=/1" OR 00:00
Kernel panic :VFS Unable to mount fs on 00:00

What does that above statement mean ?
If it would help, here is my lilo.conf

timeout=50
default=Windows98
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
lba32

#the new kernel
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-ph
      label=2.4.20-ph
      initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-ph.img
      read-only
      append="hdc=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/1"

#existing, which boots fine
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8
      label=RedHat(hda3)
      initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
      read-only
      append="hdc=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/1"

other=/dev/hda1
      optional
      label=Windows98(hda1)

It will be great if somebody could tell me what did I botch, so that I can
avoid it the next time around :). ( Not sure, what other info should I
post here)

Thanks again for your time,

Ashish.