Re: kernel wont boot

Am Die, den 03.02.2004 schrieb Ashish Samant um 15:35:
> Hi...
>
> I was trying to compile and install a new kernel, from a clean kernel
> source (2.4.20). But looks like I messed up some step and now I cant boot
> with the new kernel. I can however get back to my old one.I am going to
> try redoing the whole thing, but not quite sure, what should I do
> differently.
>
> Could anybody tell me what could have gone wrong with my last attempt ? I
> got the following error when I tried to boot the new kernel :

> VFS : cannot open root device "Label=/1" OR 00:00
> Kernel panic :VFS Unable to mount fs on 00:00
>
> What does that above statement mean ?
> If it would help, here is my lilo.conf

> timeout=50
> default=Windows98
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> message=/boot/message
> lba32
>
> #the new kernel
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-ph
>       label=2.4.20-ph
>       initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-ph.img
>       read-only
>       append="hdc=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/1"
>
> #existing, which boots fine
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8
>       label=RedHat(hda3)
>       initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
>       read-only
>       append="hdc=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/1"
>
> other=/dev/hda1
>       optional
>       label=Windows98(hda1)
>
> It will be great if somebody could tell me what did I botch, so that I can
> avoid it the next time around :). ( Not sure, what other info should I
> post here)
>
> Thanks again for your time,
>
> Ashish.

Hi Ashish,

the Label thing is just another way to address your partitions, see man
e2label. My first guess would be you missed to compile the filesystem
support for your root-filesystem, or you compiled ist just as module, in
this case you need an initrd (initial ramdisk), see man mkinitrd. Type
mount in a shell and check which filesystem your / uses and check in the
kernel-config if you have included it.

Cheers,

Matthias