Re: ssh

On February 1, 2004 07:07 am, IT Clown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to setup a few client pc's as dumb terminals. They
> must connect to a RH9 box though ssh.They must be able to
> run X.The clients connect fine through ssh but when they
> startx it displays on the RH9 box and not on their local
> box. How can i set it up sothat x displays on their local
> pc but the dumb terminal must do all the GUI work and not
> the server?The clients are also running RH9.
>
> Regards
> http://www.webmail.co.za/dialup Webmail ISP - Cool Connection, Cool Price

Hi,
as everyone has stated, you want XMG (or fimilar) if you want the desktop. In
fact, IIRC you cannot send a full XDM overs ssh, just run individual apps.
The problem is that XDM communicates using UDP for it's transport layer.

If security is your concern, and you don't need truely dumb tubes, you culd
run local X and pull all the apps from the RH box over ssh. The apps would be
process on the RH box but the desktop would run from local resources.

If you need a howto on setting up a diskless, X based system look at:
http://nesbitt.yi.org/rhat/xterm.shtml
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce