Re: ssh

I think you may be a little confused in your question here.

If the Xserver is running locally, then the "dumb terminal" is already
doing all the GUI work.

I am guessing that you have the "dumb terminals" sshing to the "Redhat 9"
box and then the user types "startx" ?

if this is the case then there are a number of things you need to do.

a) Have the "dumb terminals" start X and do an XDMCP broadcast/query on
the LAN (if it is a query then tell them to query the "Redhat 9" box's IP)

b) setup the Redhat 9 box so it runs either xdm or gdm (usually run level
5 will do this) and edit your xdm/gdm config files so that it will allow
XDMC queries from remote terminals. (hint, the config files are in
/etx/X11 and gdm is far easier to setup than xdm and tends to be the
default :-) )

It may also be handy to keep in mind that the X server/client relationship
is backwards from the normal thought process.. this may make asking
questions easier for people to understand.

When running X, the "Server" is your dumb terminal and the "client" is the
computer (In your case - the Redhat 9 box) that is running the program
(client application)

there should be no need for users to "ssh" to the RedHat 9 box as when
they login via the XDMCP broadcast/query they will actually be logging
into the "Redhat 9" server, not their local machines, infact, they shoudl
never need a login to the local machine which can make administration
vastly easier and can lead to things such as bootable cd's to prevent usrs
modifying local workstatiosn or even completely diskless workstations :-)

HTH,

--
Steve.