Re: How to use floppy disk on RH9?

you can use the mtools suite and use it similar to a dos disk (if all you
are wanting to do is transfer files)

i.e

insert blank disk

steve@localhost# mformat a:
steve@localhost# mdir a:

<directory listing>

steve@localhost# mcopy fred.txt a:

etc etc

this also has the advantage of using the fat filesystem and as such you
will be able to read/write these files on a standard windows PC

if you are wanting to use a pretty GUI to do the same then you will
probably have to live with the mounting/unmounting of the disk and not
ejecting sections of your filesystem at random.

While it may be possible to get an automounter to check for the presence
of a floppy drive and mount/unmount it as required - I have never heard of
any such beast and once you get used to mounting/dismounting then it
doesnt really become a major issue.

For end users, it may be better to use network drives instead of floppy
drives, which could have other advantages.. (just disable the floppy drive
in the BIOS)

--
Steve.