RE: pop won't authenticate my password

> > Better strategy: test things out yourself. When you follow these
> > instructions, don't make a mistake! You won't hurt anything,
> > but you will
> > have to start over since the POP daemon doesn't like
> > backspaces too well.
> > Assuming that machine is 192.168.0.1:
> >
> >          1. telnet 192.168.0.1 110 (note the space between
> > the IP address
> > and the 110)
> >
> >          2. Wait for a response.
> >
> >          3. "user ed" (response should be "OK").
> >
> >          4. "pass password" (response should be "OK").
> >
> >          5. "list" (you should get stuff back).
> >
> >          6. "retr 1" (message 1 should be displayed).
> >
> >          7. "quit"
> >
> > Does that give an error? If so, can you post the exact
> > sequence you're
> > typing and the exact error in your next message?
>
> Thanks so much, Rodolfo. Actually, on another site I found a
> similar suggestion for resolving a problem similar to mine
> using Telnet. As instructed then, I telnetted to the umbrella
> IP address of my whole network (again, the one my domain name
> is bound to), followed by 110 just like in your instructions,
> and after a long time of seeing just "Trying 25.25.15.155..."
> there was eventually the line "telnet: connect to address
> 25.25.15.155: Connection timed out." Well, I did the same
> thing here as you suggested in step 1, i.e. I tried it with
> 192.168.0.1., and the same thing happened, so obviously I
> never got to steps 3.-7.

Here's an update; I tried telnetting to those two addresses on another
machine, and both times I got the following message back very quickly:
"Could not open connection to the host, on port 110: Connect failed." I
guess then we got some major problems with the pop server here, and I'd
appreciate your help in resolving them.

Ed McCorduck
Department of English
State University of New York College at Cortland
ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://mccorduck.cortland.edu
http://McCorduck.ws