RE: pop won't authenticate my password

> Thanks, Ben. No, I'm not able to get into my pop server at all either
> through the Mozilla client nor through Telnet (see my previous reply to
> Rodolfo's message). Is there another way to get into my pop server to
> see what's going on?

Hi Ed.

Here is how I would go about diagnosing:
Log into the pop server machine:

# netstat -lan

That will tell what ports your machine is currently listening to.  110
should show up in the listing similar to:

tcp        0      0 10.253.0.150:110        10.253.32.76:2952
TIME_WAIT

If it doesn't ,then your pop daemon is not running.

If it does show up, then try telnet:

telnet localhost 110
or
telnet 127.0.0.1 110

If that connects (you should see something like:)
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Qpopper (version 4.0.3) at locahost starting.

Then that is working.  If it doesn't show up, then it's listening on 110 but
not letting you connect (which would be VERY strange.   Ihave not seen that
before).

If working, now try to telnet from another host to pop3 host using an ip
addres you know will connect.  e.g. if you can ssh or telnet or ftp from
host1 to your pophost, then go to host1 and see if you can get a telnet
connection to your pop3 server on port 110.

If that works, then there's a good chance your pop3 server is fine. Next
telnet from the machine that has your pop3 client to the pop3 server port
110 . If that works, now we know it is a misconfiguration in your mozilla
mail client which brings me to the next paragraph.

> But let me ask you: how would I do as you suggest, "Make
> sure the server in your POP3 config is the correct one"?

What I mean to say is

"make sure the pop server in your pop 3 client's config is the correct one"

Since you were being asked for ed@pop 's password, I was thinking that
perhaps in your mail client you only put "pop" as the server name.  Make
sure your client resolve that correctly to your connection is all.

For example, at a previous place of work one person wasn't getting their
mail.  Their pop3 server config siad "mail" which was the exact same as a
person next to her.  What happened was that the person next to her had the
correct search domains (including "internal.company.com" so that her client
would try "mail.internal.company.com".  The person's machine who did not
work did not have that in there so we put that in there.  I myself prefer
using the full hostname right in the config instead of relying on the search
order so on my machine personally i had the pop3 server listed as
"mail.internal.company.com" so I knew it was going to the right place
(instead of just listing "mail"). (note, she did have "company.com" in her
search order, however our firewall was blocking "mail.company.com".  When
her mail client attempted to acess mail.company.com it would go out the
firewall to the internet and try to come back in again which is why she was
getting timed out)

Does that make sense?

You may even want to test it first by putting in the IP address of your POP3
server into your mail client's pop3 server config field.  If that doesn't
work, then there's a connection problem.  if it does work, then there's some
hostname resolution problem.

Hope that is mor clear . Good luck

Ben