Re: IMAP set up how to

From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx>
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 06:23:01PM +0000, Roger Beever wrote:
> > As I'm reading my mail increasingly from multiple locations I was
> > wondering about setting up an IMAP server on my RH9 mail server which
> > runs sendmail.
> > Currently I'm using POP and setting most locations to leave a copy on
> > the server. From what I gather IMAP would be neater.
> > Could some one point me at a howto to achieve this.
>
> You're just about done already.  The default pop server also does imap
> so it's probably as simple as just configuring your e-mail client to use
> imap instead of pop.  There are good and bad imap clients depending on
> what OS you use.  Believe it or not, the best Windows imap client is
> Outlook Express (a crappy answer, but it really is the best by far).
> I've used mutt on Linux in imap mode and it works well.

Don't forget to ensure that you're allowing the imap port through the
firewall (/etc/sysconfig/iptables).  Then check /etc/xinetd.d/imap or imaps
and ensure that you have "disable = no", then run "service xinetd restart".

I *think* that should get you to where you're trying to go, for now.
However, personally I'm paranoid.  I don't like non-encrypted connections to
my email server, especially imap or smtp, as the passwords are typically
sent in the clear.  Which means that anybody with a sniffer could grab your
username and password.

Rodolfo and I are working on a HOWTO on setting up a protected email server,
but I'm not sure when it'll be done.  In the meantime, I'll talk to him
about possibly publishing my rough install notes...

Ben