RE: Samba File Sharing permissions problem

According to the smb.conf man page, the default is "security = user",
so if you don't specify it I believe it falls back to "user".

> [www]
>
>     comment    =    WWW Test Server
>     path           =    /var/www/
>     writeable    =    yes
>
> I can get it to work if I set the permissions on the www to
> allow access to
> the user. But I dont understand what the point of having that
> check box is
> if all you have to do is set the file permissions via the
> file system. It
> seems to be that you would be able to set the permissions via
> SMB seperate
> of any file system permissions.

You're working with a combination of the security allowed by the
Samba share and that which is set on the directory.  I believe the
security on the filesystem takes precedence; you can't make a
read-only directory (at the filesystem level) writeable to a Samba
user by simply specifying "writeable = yes" in the share definition.
This would be like sharing out /usr with "writeable = yes" and
expecting anyone to be able to change whatever they want on it.

I don't what level of security you need to have.  You should look
at the smb.conf man page for some options.  There are options for
"force user" and "admin user" which may be of interest (although
not really the best choice IMHO).  I think the best-bet would be
to work with the permissions at the filesystem level (eg, make it
writeable for a certain group and add yourself to that group).

--
S C Rigler
RHCE #803003335409754