RE: permissions and the /etc/skel directory

Pete Nesbitt <mailto:pete@xxxxxxxxx>
    on Saturday, January 03, 2004 1:26 PM said:

> useradd always sets ownership to the new dirs & files to the new user.
>
> It sounds like you may want to look at sgid to set the default  group
> ownership so group members can all access all files. You should man
> chmod & look for sgid for more info.

uh oh. that sounds a little too complicated for me... how about this? i
create a script to automagically do this for me?

i've never written a shell script but i imagine it would do the
following:

1. accept one piece of information: username
2. perform the following commands:

# useradd $username
# cd /home/$username
# chown .apache . www/
# chmod 770 . www/
# passwd $username <some_default_password>

3. exit

this way i can create the new user AND have the correct permissions.
this should work right?

chris.