Re: New kernel root exploit - Now what ?

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:49:01PM -0000, Jane Regan wrote:
> I thought they stopped supporting Redhat though as of 2004 ?
> I got a E-Mail about it, is this not the case ...... ?

Red Hat has officially stopped supporting all consumer releases prior to
RHL 9.  However, on occasion, they *may* release an errata that is
applicable to a previous version.  They've done it before, and they've
it in this case.  You must not rely on this - a future errata may be
applicable only to RHL 9 and can't be applied to a previous version
without some serious hacking.

If you need support, you should consider one of the many alternatives
that have been discussed on this list for many months.  You have many to
choose from:  Fedora, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat Professional
Workstation, and Progeny Legacy support.  We can't answer which is right
for you without a lot more information.  In some rare cases, Red Hat
may not be the right answer for you at all depending on your specific
requirements and abillities.

This announcement is neither sudden nor recent.  At least as far back as
December 19, 2002, the 7.3 EOL date was announced as December 31, 2003.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-watch-list/2002-December/msg00008.html

> Anyway thanks for the info, where about did you get this on the site so I
> can use for future reference.

I strongly suggest that all Red Hat Linux users subscribe to the
redhat-watch-list to get security-related information.

Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx