Re: [SOLVED] Updated web page, but seeing older one?

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 10:48, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 08:59 1/2/2004, you wrote:
> >Here's a question, since I don't understand transparent proxies as well as I
> >should:

A transparent proxy is simply one inserted unbeknownst to the end user.
It "intercepts" requests and acts as them just like a normal proxy, but
it usually invisible to the end user's Internet experience.  It is done
in conjunction with a firewall or TCP proxy capable of redirecting the
object request to the cache.

Example:
Bob runs the IT department for a fortune 500 company consisting of 20k
users.  Rather than administer the proxy settings of everyone's
workstations, they implement a series of transparent proxies to work
"behind the scenes".  Centralizes administration nicely.

> >If you put one of those "expired" meta tags in the header of the web page,
> >will that force the proxy to refresh it's cache each time the page is
> >requested?
>
> Good question. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to be able to answer it.
> <smile>

Again, it depends on the configuration settings of the individual
cache.  Squid, for example, will allow you to ignore the meta expire via
the override-expire directive.  Of course, this breaks the HTTP standard
and should be done at your own risk.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting