Re: [SOLVED] Updated web page, but seeing older one?

At 20:31 1/1/2004, you wrote:
Guess I should have added that your box needs to sit in your house at the
end of a DSL, or better, connection.  In my case, the box is right here at
my feet.

I forgot that there are owners of boxes that do not physically have control
of the box.

You're missing the point entirely, my friend. Stop and think about it for a moment: everything you have said is from the point of view of ME wanting to view MY updated web page. But I wrote that page for OTHERS to see... I am extremely happy (downright delighted) that roughly 1200 people have chosen to read my Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO in the last three months, and I want to make the site better for them.

Transparent proxies where ISP's force their caches to keep things for too long so they can save bandwidth at the expense of their users getting the most recent data screws their users, not the website provider. In this case, I just happened to be both. Where my box is, who controls it, are all irrelevant. As Jason pointed out, even if the box were at my feet, by requesting "www.simpaticus.com" I would /STILL/ get their cached copy unless I also had split-horizon DNS installed in my house.

Which again boils down to why I don't mind transparent proxies (it's a bitch to make money as an ISP), but it bugs the hell out of me to have their cache disregard a refresh request, especially when the page in question HAS changed and the cache doesn't even bother to go look (or worse, refuses to update anyway). Just not nice behavior there.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com