Re: Wht's wrong with my DNS config.

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 04:12, Kumar wrote:
> hello list,
>
>   thanks steve, first of all i have to appreciate for
> your detail description. if you dont mind can you
> clarify some of my doubts...
>
> 1. while we purchase domain name from my top level
> registrators .my, i given 2 name server for my domain
> name.
>
>   the primary name server:
>
>       hostname:  www.idesa.net.my
>       ipaddress: 219.95.66.106
>
>    the secondary name server:(ISP)
>       hostname:  ns3.tm.net.my
>       ipaddress: 202.188.0.133
>
>    i just given the secondar name server of my ISP
> becoz we taken SDSL line from my ISP. here my ISP is
> not pointing or adding any zone records. so is it
> necessary to give my ISP address in secondary name
> server.?

Kumar,

Before you list your ISP's name server as a secondary, you need to read
your Terms of Service and/or Service Level Agreement (SLA) for your ISP
account. It may state that your account allows you to list their DNS
server as a secondary. If it does, then you typically contact your ISP's
DNS administrator by e-mail or phone and ask that they add your zone
name as a secondary (slave) to their DNS server. If your SLA does NOT
include using their DNS server as a secondary, then you should NOT list
their DNS server as a secondary at your TLD registrar (the root name
servers) or in your zone file. Currently, thats why everyone that is
querying idesa.net.my is getting the "lame server" message.
ns3.tm.net.my does not return that it is a Start of Authority (SOA) for
your domain space.

To understand what I'm talking about, type:

dig +trace idesa.net.my

...and follow the referrals back from the root name servers.

Hopefully, the above command will help you understand how DNS works and
why you can't just arbitrarily list your ISP's name server as a
secondary without some coordination by both parties. If all else fails,
you might check f your registrar allows you to list one of their DNS
servers as a secondary. I believe there are also free DNS hosting
services available on the internet that might allow you to use their DNS
servers as a secondary. Worth a search a google at least.

Good luck
Steve Cowles