Re: zone file

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 04:51, Kumar wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
>    i am really thankfull for the detailed description.
> i have configured according to ur details. i have
> configured exactly like you specified and sending my
> zone config to you.
>
>   please check my zone configuration file and tell me
> wether you able to resolve all my sites and suggest me
> if any modifications.

First, DNS and HTTP are two different protocols all together. So whether
or not your web server is properly configured to answer these requests
is out of scope for this post. Besides, I consider myself a newbie when
it comes to configuring a web server.

As for your DNS zone file -- see my comments below.

$TTL    86400
@     IN    SOA   www.idesa.net.my.     hostmaster.idesa.net.my. (
                                2002052701    ; Serial
                                28800         ; Refresh
                                14400         ; Retry
                                3600000       ; Expire
                                86400 )       ; Minimum

The SOA record looks OK, but each time you make a change to one of your
zone files, you need to increment your serial number. If your using the
standard date format for your serial number (which it looks like), then
you are a few years off. :-)

; Name Server
@               IN      NS      www.idesa.net.my.
@               IN      NS      ns3.tm.net.my.
; Mail Server for Domain
@               IN      MX  10  mail.idesa.net.my.
@               IN      A       219.95.66.106

The above looks OK, but you still need to resolve specifying
ns3.tm.net.my as a secondary. See my previous post.

; Public Servers
idesa.net.my    IN      A       219.95.66.106

First, the above is redundant (see the entry below your MX record). Plus
you have specified idesa.net.my as relative to the zone origin. i.e. You
have created an Address record of: idesa.net.my.idesa.net.my

ns3             IN      A       202.188.0.133

The above ns3 record is not needed unless you actually have a system or
website that needs to answer to that name. Again, you have specified it
as relative to the zone origin. i.e. You have created an address record
of: ns3.idesa.net.my, not ns3.tm.net.my. Which I think is what you are
probably trying to reference. If that was your original thought, then
you should remove the ns3 record.

mail            IN      A       219.95.66.106
www             IN      A       219.95.66.106
[snip...]

Everything else looks fine.

Steve Cowles