Re: unknown process hogging cpu... need help.

salvatore wrote:

being answered. I was forced to halt the box. In fact the first two
power button presses were ignored! I had to reset, press and hold for
five seconds. It was very disturbing.

Dont most (relatively modern) power supplies do this to prevent accidental
pushings of the power button?

Interesting. Yet, I don't know. I'm not infallible, yet how often I've accidently done this and recorded the behavior? Few, and never did I pay attention to the behavior to say that "this or that response is expected."

I just tried this on my ThinkPad...yep. No response. Thanks for that tidbit. I know my TiBook at home responds with a dialog to Restart, Sleep, Cancel, Shutdown, but that has been the Macintosh behavior for decades; at least 13 years in my experience.

I would press the power button on the server in question, but no need to give that box another jump start; based on the behavior last night though, you're probably right.

Thanks,
Tim