gphoto2 & EXIF support?

Hi All

Has anyone had any success with gphoto2? Ive just got a (free) digital
camera. Its only a shitty little thing but it does work (fired up a
windoze box to check ;p).

Ive managed to get gphoto2 to pick up the cam and it can see the files
stored on the cam. BUT - it cant download them, it bombs out with a
segmentation fault. I had a look in the debug output and it keeps
mentioning that EXIF support was not enabled on compilation. How can I
enable it - Ive tried compiling from source tarballs but it doesnt work
- loads of libs cannot be found (none of them EXIF). I installed gphoto
with apt and libexif is also installed...

[root@beast root]# rpm -q gphoto2
gphoto2-2.1.0-7
[root@beast root]# rpm -q libexif
libexif-0.5.12-1.fr