Re: email aliases

On December 21, 2003 09:59 pm, Tom Ferguson wrote:
> I am just getting to much spam.  I want to create an email alias called
> new.mail@xxxxxxxxxx  I edited the aliases text file in /etc/mail and ran
> "newaliases" to update the db file.  But when I send an email to
> new.mail@xxxxxxxxxx it is undeliverable as no user.  I have my email client
> setup to receive mail from this account using the alias as user name and
> password from the base user.  But I get an error that says no user found.
> What did I do wrong.
>
> Tom

In addition to what Corey mentioned, you may want to look at
/etc/mail/virtusertable (virtual user). it is a mapping of non-existant
emails that should be accepted and handed off to a legitimate user. it is
similar to aliases, but aliases are generally used to redirect mail within
the system so a service accounts email is sent to a user account's email.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce