Re: Help with /etc/fstab

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 15:42, Pete Nesbitt wrote:
> On December 21, 2003 05:58 am, Roger Beever wrote:
> > Hi.
> > Mount xxxx.xxxnet.net:/home/share /home/share
> >  works to manually mount my nfs share but the info in the Admin guide
> > has confused me and my entry in /etc/fstb fail at boot up.
> > Could some kind person please give me the line I should add and indicate
> > anywhere else I should add lines.
> > I have to mount it as root but would like to make it user if possible.
> > The network is personal lan but tcp addition in the admin guide makes
> > sense so I should be able to add that if I need to.
> > Server and client are all of 3 feet apart !!
>

> Hi Roger,
> If you had a manual mount of:
> mount -t nfs remotesys:/user/data /mnt/data1
>
> the fstab would be:
> remotesys:/user/data /mnt/data1 nfs owner,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,intr 0 0
>
> That will allow any user to mount it, 8192 entries should speed things up with
> increased block sizes, soft means it will return an error instead of hanging
> if the server is unavailble, and intr is similar by allowing a kill of the
> process if server is unavailble.
>
> If you want it to be mounted at boot time, asdd auto to the options set. If
> you do not care if one user can umount a different users mount, you can
> change owner to user.
>
> Hope that helps
> --
> Pete Nesbitt, rhce
Thanks Pete.
First It's just me although I do have a couple of accounts to allow
separate e-mail addresses for a few things.
The mistake I was making was form the RH admin guide I was taking the
word server to be required to indicate to the system that it was a
remote file system (where you have used remotesys)
Had the guide used the same example I might have caught on.
They give the manual mount as.
mount shadowman.example.com:/misc/export /misc/local
Then jumped to
server:/usr/local/pub    /pub   nfs size=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
for the fstab.
Thanks again
Roger