Re: iTunes and Linux

Ken Gillett wrote:
Not sure what you mean by this as iTunes is a Mac (and now Windows) application which can encode/compress CDs as MP3 or AAC (MP4). The Apple Music Store uses the latter to distribute its wares as it offers better quality at those low bitrates.

I use iTunes (and other alternatives) to encode my CDs and the resultant MP3s are all stored on my Linux server and I can play them either from within iTunes on the Mac or Wintel (with the appropriate volume mounted) or by running xmms on the linux machine. This of course uses X so I usually display and control it on the Mac using Apple's X11 - as indeed it is currently playing David Bowie on the linux server with the (iTunes-like skinned) xmms displaying on the Mac screen beside this message.

I'm not sure that xmms can play AAC, but I would think it can, maybe with an update to include that later encoding method. Converting to MP3 however would be a BAD thing to do as you'd need to uncompress the music first then re-encode it as MP3 and as both are 'lossy' processes it would lose a lot of quality.

Near as I can tell, you must use the iTunes application to download the music files. I run Windows within VMware so I should be able to get and use the software to do that. But I wanted to be able to have the downloaded music be playable in Linux.

--
Gordon Charrick
gmcrhce@xxxxxxx