Re: cups shared printer

I assume that your printer works for the linux machine and that
you have checked your smb.conf printer lines to make sure everything
is correct. Here is something else you might try.
I print from windows to a laserjet 1200 and have never had to do this
so I don't know if it will help but I have it in my cups mail file
just in case I need it sometime.
Hi Graham,
<snip>
Ed is right about there being a file that you have to edit and uncomment
out a line in, but it is two (2) files that I found.  Since you are
using Cups, and that is what I am using, here is what I did:

In /etc/cups goto the file mime.types, look toward the bottom of the
file and you will find a line that says:

application/octet-stream

uncomment this line out if it is commented.  The next file is
mime.convs.  Also towards the bottom of the file you will find the
following line:

application/octet-stream        application/vnd.cups-raw        0       -

If it is commented out, uncomment it.  Now the next thing in the Printer
configuration utility I had to setup another printer.  This one instead
of using the actual printer driver I used the Generic driver and used
the Raw Print Queue.   Try this, it should get you going.

HTH!!!

Lee Perez