Re: X won't start for root - okay for other user

Ed,
after typing startx there is a pause then in the center of the screen "No Input Signal" appears and lasts for 1-2 seconds. Next there is some output to the screen that begins with

XFree86 Version ....

and the last 2 lines are

/root/.Xclients: line 8: /root/.Xclients-default: Success
waiting for X server to shut down

then back to the command prompt. The last two lines do not appear in the log file