Re: Need help from an X guru!

On 08:01 04 Dec 2003, Benjamin J. Weiss <benjamin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I had installed my TightVNC 1.2.8 from source, and wanted to upgrade to
| 1.2.9.  I downloaded the source for 1.2.9, then went into the 1.2.8 tree and
| ran a 'make clean' as root.  I lost X. [...]

I know it's too late, but this is a Big Clue to an important rule:

NEVER do the build/compile stuff as root. Only the install should happen
as root, and if you set things up right even that can often be done as
an ordinary user.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Copies of ACM publications are filling library self space so rapidly that
shelf boundaries will soon be expanding faster that the speed of light.
But Special Relativity is not violated, as no information is being propagated.
        - Howard E. Motteler, <motteler@xxxxxxxx>