Sendmail question

I'm running RH9 and I've got an email server running sendmail.  It sends
mail just fine from inside the network in Linux; if you try to send from
Windows Outlook Express from inside the network it gives you "Relay
Denied" the first couple of times you try to send mail, but usually it
sends the third time without complaint.  I have pop and smtp set up (so
that I can use the server from windows and it fetches mail just fine,
but whenever I try to send mail from outside of the network, I get a
"Relay Denied" error no matter how many times I try to send it.  All the
Sendmail docs I could find on the subject say that you can specify
trusted IPs (or block of IPs), but some of my users use dial-up
connnections with constantly changing IP addresses.  How do I fix this
error?  (And being able to send from Windows without hitting
Send/Receive multiple times would be nice too...)
-Michael Sullivan-