Re: Weird sendmail behavior

> The box is RH7.3 up2date is run frequently though sendmail is behind a
> step
> due to rhn being clogged. I will update sendmail though manually.

The version of sendmail was not the issue - the configuration was. This
lets us know if things have been altered outside the norm (TLS added ?
strange behaviours that we should be aware of that may have impact ?)

If the sendmail packages have been updated and the config was changed then
generally - the new config will be saved under a different name and you
will still be using your older and altered config. - hence the question
refering to the confguration NOT the sendmail binary itself.

> All other clients work with Outlook.

Yes, but does the probably related to her workstation also appear when
using different clients ? what happens when you telnet to the mail port
and try to send mail manually ?

> Logs are clean.

So you dont log at all ? or is it that you dont see anything out of the
ordinary when her PC tries to send mail ? what does a log entry for her
mail transcript look like ? does it have the reject in the log or does it
come later ? if the reject is in the log what is the reason given ? or
does the log say the message was delivered sucessfully ?

> No SMTP-AUTH

OK. TLS ? WindowsXP (non service pack 1) had problems with most TLS
implementations that produced errors such as you are experiencing. (hence
the question)

> She doesn't appear to resolve to a name which is odd. But even so, her
> subnet
> is in hosts.allow.

what about the sendmail access file ? have you configured sendmail to
reject mail from non-resolving domains ?

> The fact that all was well 2 days ago makes me think trojan. I can't seem
> find it though.

So what changed between now and two days ago - obviously something did.
While it is easy to point the finger and cry "virus", in many cases this
is not the case and can end up with unresolved problems.

These are still outstanding.

> what services pack/OS is on the machine ?
> does it work with different clients (OE, Eudora, pegasus mail ?)
> what happens when spam filtering is not enabled ?
> What do the reject messages say ?
> does [domain resolving] ? do other peoples ?

Servicepack and OS of the machine (and last time she ran windows updates
and what it updated) may be entirely relevant (see the TLS issues above)
The different clients are also relevant as this tells us if the problem
appears to be related to things othe than the mail seerver itself (the
symptoms may not always point directly to the problem)
Is the problem with the spam filtering ? remove the complexity and see if
this fixes the problem and you can narrow down the things you need to
check.
Reject messages are vitally imortant as these actualyl give us something
real to work with when trying to fix the problem
and domain resolving may also point to possible broken things that are
easily overlooked.

We dont mind helping, but please help us to help you otherwise all we can
offer are opinions based on something other than fact.

--
Steve.