Re: Weird sendmail behavior

> Okay, it's time to post this here.
> A client of mine has a sendmail server that up until 2 days ago has worked
> flawlessly. Then, suddenly it started slowing down. Nothing in top showed
> anything beating the server, save minor memory useage on some httpd child
> instances. Restarted httpd, same issue: slow. Restarted sendmail, same.
> Checked iptraf. There seemed to  be alot of DNS queries. Hmmm...stopped
> sendmail and the dns queries subsided. Thing is, they weren't really
> hammering
> the system. Anyway, checked mqueue and there were some messages in there
> that
> were basically bogus or spam requests. Removed them. Things seemed to be
> better today, however, something new is happening. One user, and only 1,
> gets
> rejected. We have sendmail setup to use spamcop and spamhaus and this user
> is
> having her outgoing mail rejected using that. This is odd. This user is on
> 192.168.0 subnet and so is everyone else. They all work and use Outlook
> clients. They have the option of using the webmail client which is working
> for
> her with no problem. She only gets an error when using Outlook.  I'm
> really
> stumped, though it may be an easy answer. Anyone?

What do logs say ?
How far from stock configuration has the sendmail config changed ?
are you using TLS ?
what services pack/OS is on the machine ?
does it work with different clients (OE, Eudora, pegasus mail ?)
what happens when spam filtering is not enabled ?
do you use SMTPAUTH ?
What do the reject messages say ?
does her IP resolve to a "valid domain" according to the mail server ?
do other peoples ?

A little more information may be helpful.

--
Steve.