Re: Is Secondary IDE always slower than primary?

Harry Hoffman wrote:

Hmm,

In the IDE setting wouldn't the "secondary" IDE drive be slower if the "primary"
IDE drive is transmitting/receiving data. As far as I can find/remember that
would be the foremost issue.

HTH,
Harry

Harry - on paper they're actually two discreet channels, so one shouldn't affect the other.

But in reality - you're absolutely right. I don't think it's an architectural limit, I just think the way data is retrieved causes a slow-down when grabbing two sets of data out of two hard drives.

If it wasn't a problem, then striping RAID should double throughput, but in reality we don't see a 100% increase in speed.

Regards,
Ed.