RE: Visibility from outside being behind a router - (with DYNDNS ip address)

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 16:23, Együd Csaba wrote:
> Hi Roger,
> thank you for replying. Actually I'd like to access a Postgres db and an ftp
> server. That's all. All other ports should be invisible from outside. As I
> can understand from your letter I have to forward those ports which I want
> to use. Than shouldn't I filter any other ports on the server.
>
> How can I forward a port on a swich? (it is actually a box on the table not
> a computer)
> And how can I get the IP address of the switch in order to upgrade the
> DYNDNS account?
>
> Thx and by,
> -- Csaba

OK
As a starting point I assumed your switch was also a router with one
connection to the Internet and the rest to your LAN. If this is the case
you should be able to configure it to forward the ports you need to the
correct  machine. If this is not the case please explain your local
network and how it connects to the Internet.
You will have to update your DnYDNS account either by a configuration
change
to the router /switch (if that is what it is) or by runnign an
application on a computer.the dnydns web site has a listing of such
applications.
I my case I have custom DnYDns and my ADSL modem switch router does the
updateing.
Regards Roger