Re: Visibility from outside being behind a router - (with DYNDNS ip address)

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 03:51:06PM +0100, Egy?d Csaba wrote:
> I'd like to access a server over DYNDNS which is behind a switch (or
> router?). I created everything on www.dyndns.org and it works fine, but...
>
> On the server I set the default gateway to the IP of the switch, and this
> way I can browse the web. How can I identify this server on the web to be
> able to log in.
> When I try it from the intranet I can see everything on the machine, because
> the ipcheck.py (http://ipcheck.sourceforge.net/) script updates the local IP
> address. :(
> Trying it from a remote machine - certainly - it won't work because of the
> continuously set local address.

You can have a look at my home setup at
http://www.ewilts.org/dynamicdns.htm
I use a Linksys router, zoneedit for my dynamic DNS, and zoneclient
(also at sourceforge) to keep my zoneedit IP address updated.

Once you've got the dynamic DNS stuff straighted out, you then need to
tell your router/switch to forward the right ports.  On the Linksys
units, it's in the Advanced pages.  Remember that your internal address
is always static (say 192.168.0.2) so you'd have an entry like forward
port 80 to 192.168.0.2.  You can't have multiple web servers inside
unless you've got a way to fail over the IP address or put them on
different ports.

Also remember to check for whatever local firewall rules you've got in
place on the Linux system to make sure you're not blocking the ports.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx