Re: OT: Compiling C on Unix

Install a precompiled binary, then install source for the latest.  Or just
do the precompiled binary.

If they wrote GCC in assembly language, it would have to be completely
rewritten for every hardware/operating system combination.

Also, GCC allows cross-compilation, to make it easier to bootstrap new
hardware/os combinations.

Jon