Re: LogWatch and Postfix?

Cowles, Steve wrote:
K. Hawkes wrote:

Have you tried to run the cron logwatch script manually?

# cd /etc/cron.daily
./00-logwatch

Yeah, I've tried that one too, it runs through okay but still no maillog output or anything from it. It is literally as if it does what it needs, sends the command to mail the stuff out, but never gets that far. (After renaming /bin/mail to /bin/mail2 and putting something that logs what Logwatch sends it...) I get the following from above...

Logwatch sent me parms : -s LogWatch for localhost.localdomain root

I'm using Postfix 1.1.13 (latest 1.1.x version available), would it
be worth me upgrading to Postfix 2.x?

I just downgraded from LogWatch 5.x to the one that's supplied with
RH9, now when it runs I get the following error from /bin/mail :

cannot move file:
/var/spool/temp/1070224983000.16688.localhost.localdomain.mail

Any thoughts?

Sorry, but I really have no idea as to why logwatch is not sending e-mail
through postfix.

For reference, this is what I'm running at this end.

$ rpm -q postfix
postfix-2.0.13-3.sasl2.tls.rh9
$ rpm -q logwatch
logwatch-4.3.1-2
$ rpm -q mailx
mailx-8.1.1-28

Steve Cowles

I may be off base here, but as I read it, logwatch is sending email through postfix. It is simply not reporting on what postfix *does*. Why postfix won't play with logwatch, I don't know. I use postfix, and I had to use pflogsumm.

Bill Tangren