Re: shutdown problem

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 03:12, Pete Nesbitt wrote:
> On November 29, 2003 03:14 am, Roger Beever wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Roger,
> > > have a look at the -t option for shutdown. It may be what your after as
> > > it will pause between kill & changing runlevels.You may also want to sync
> > > the discs first, like wrapping "sync;sync;telinit 6" or something like
> > > that. --
> > > Pete Nesbitt, rhce
> >
> > Ah OK.
> > Given the shutdown is a mouse click form the GUI login what file am I
> > actually looking for to make the changes in please ?
> > Roger
>
> Roger,
> I have to agree with Ed that this in not a normal necessity.
>
> I thought you were talking about command line shutdown, but I took a quick
> look around and found for gdm (xdm & kdm similar), it looks like you could:
> edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
> there are 2 lines referencing shutdown:
>
> HaltCommand=/usr/bin/poweroff
> RebootCommand=/sbin/shutdown -r now
>
> You could set them to:
> HaltCommand=/sbin/shutdown -t 2 -h now
> RebootCommand=/sbin/shutdown -t 2 -r now
>
> As far as any user being allowed to run shutdown, you may want to use  â??a and
> a  /etc/shutdown.allow file so other users can shutdown, if desired.  (try
> "man shutdown" from a text window)
>
> Note, I have not tried this, but it looks like it would work.
> --
> Pete Nesbitt, rhce
Thanks for the replies There were a couple on the Tarron list this
morning,where I posted first but had no response,as well some hinting it might even be a bios problem.
I will investigate all the ideas and report back.

Just a a little background which was in the very first post that was
lost in the "missing weekend".
As far as this machine goes I'm it and it's dual boot which is why it
gets shutdown more then normal for a Linux box.
The last I see as it is shutting down is a MD thread got woken up note.
And the 2 drive designations on the next line and off it goes.
As I said in an earlier post I do not get the unclean message on every
startup but it is consistant enough for me to predict based on how quick
it shutdown. As I said I'll report back I'm also working my way through
the basics at the Linux docs web site so what is being dais is making
more sense.
Roger