Re: shutdown problem

On November 29, 2003 03:14 am, Roger Beever wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 04:19, Pete Nesbitt wrote:
> > On November 28, 2003 11:31 am, Roger Beever wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > > I need to delay the last part of the shutdown process to make sure the
> > > system has finished writing to disk and unmounting etc.
> > > How would I go about that please.
> >
> > Hi Roger,
> > have a look at the -t option for shutdown. It may be what your after as
> > it will pause between kill & changing runlevels.You may also want to sync
> > the discs first, like wrapping "sync;sync;telinit 6" or something like
> > that. --
> > Pete Nesbitt, rhce
>
> Ah OK.
> Given the shutdown is a mouse click form the GUI login what file am I
> actually looking for to make the changes in please ?
> Roger

Roger,
I have to agree with Ed that this in not a normal necessity.

I thought you were talking about command line shutdown, but I took a quick
look around and found for gdm (xdm & kdm similar), it looks like you could:
edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
there are 2 lines referencing shutdown:

HaltCommand=/usr/bin/poweroff
RebootCommand=/sbin/shutdown -r now

You could set them to:
HaltCommand=/sbin/shutdown -t 2 -h now
RebootCommand=/sbin/shutdown -t 2 -r now

As far as any user being allowed to run shutdown, you may want to use  âa and
a  /etc/shutdown.allow file so other users can shutdown, if desired.  (try
"man shutdown" from a text window)

Note, I have not tried this, but it looks like it would work.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce