can't login

Hi there,

I can't login in mi red hat 9.

All started with some disk errors (I can't remember the messages), at startup.
That happened a few times, but not any more.

Now, in the gui login screen, I type my user, and before the password is
asked, a message is displayed: "autentication failed". That happens with
all user, root too. The password is never asked.

I try changing the init runlevel in /etc/inittab, to runlevel 3, to try
in text mode, but the same happens: as soon as I type the user, it displays
"password incorrect", before asking for it.

I try starting with red hat cd 1, in rescue mode, and quiting password in
/etc/shadow, but the same happens. I also try starting in monouser mode
(runlevel 1), and change the password from there, or trying a "su" command
(with root or other users), but "incorrect password" is displayed (the password
is never asked).

Can anyone help me??

Thanks very much,

Tizo