Re: can't login

On November 26, 2003 08:37 am, tizo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I can't login in mi red hat 9.
>
> All started with some disk errors (I can't remember the messages), at
> startup. That happened a few times, but not any more.
>
> Now, in the gui login screen, I type my user, and before the password is
> asked, a message is displayed: "autentication failed". That happens with
> all user, root too. The password is never asked.
>
> I try changing the init runlevel in /etc/inittab, to runlevel 3, to try
> in text mode, but the same happens: as soon as I type the user, it displays
> "password incorrect", before asking for it.
>
> I try starting with red hat cd 1, in rescue mode, and quiting password in
> /etc/shadow, but the same happens. I also try starting in monouser mode
> (runlevel 1), and change the password from there, or trying a "su" command
> (with root or other users), but "incorrect password" is displayed (the
> password is never asked).
>
> Can anyone help me??
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Tizo

HI Tizo,
You should use the Red Hat cd 1 and boot into rescue. From there choose to NOT
mount the installed filesystems (or umount them if it is automatic, can't
remeber exactly).

Then run fsck against all filesystems on the disk that had errors. If any
errors are found, let fsck fix them. It is probably good to run it twice.

example for ext2 or ext3 filesystem:
e2fsck -f -p /dev/hda1
(same as fsck -t ext2 -a  /dev/hda1 )
That will automaticly repair any errors it finds. The -f forces checks on
apparently clean filesystems)

Once complete, use the 'passwd' command to change your root password. From
there you can try changing to runlevel 3 (telinit 3) and try and login.

It is possible that the login process cannot access some file and that is why
it errors before you have a chance. With any luck fsck can recover the disk
(at least for a while) depending on what is causing errors and what those
erros are. You may find some info by running 'dmesg|less' and looking in
/var/log/messages once you can access the system again.

Hope that helps.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce